Wednesday, February 23, 2011

gooey, cheesy goodness and an introduction...

I have the day off and all I can think about is planning a fabulous evening for my new girlfriend. Candles, music, flowers, and delicious food. I think it's time to introduce Maria to my grandma's recipes. And, the flavor on my mind was Mexican. Digging through Grandma's box always leads to something fun...something unexpected...something special. I found a recipe for baked rice and the ingredients were rice, sour cream, green chilies, and cheese. I think, with these ingredients, it has to be amazing.

The menu will be homemade chipotle shrimp tacos with cotija cheese and cilantro, baked rice with a cilantro dressing, and a Mexican Caesar salad.

For the rice, it needed to be cooked for the recipe. And, as I start to prep everything, the first big belly laugh of the evening lets loose. It called for 3/4 cup cooked rice. Really, Grandpa? Really? 3/4 a cup, that's one serving. And, before you know it, Maria and I are joking about it. I had to explain to her that my grandpa has made some mistakes. (just a couple mistakes! ha ha) We decided to make a bit more; 4 servings which was 1 cup of uncooked rice. I used jasmine. Now, to prep it for the oven, I needed a square casserole dish. Big belly laugh number two- Maria didn't have one. So, the search began. After playing with a few dishes, we decided on her prized "meatball dish." Yes, that's what she called it, but she is Italian so she has liberties!! The dish was a perfect fit. I took half the rice and blended it with the sour cream. Because I cooked more rice, I knew I should just add enough sour cream to balance it out. I spread that in the bottom and then layered it with 4 whole green chilies. Then came a few big handfuls of the Mexican blended shredded cheese. I totally fudged on the recipe but, because all the ingredients would taste delicious no matter what, I knew it would come out smashing. I placed the rest of the rice on the top. I spread it like I would spread frosting on a cake. I then added a handful of cheese on the top. You can never have too much cheese! ha ha! I threw that in the oven and, after a few sips of my Corona, flittered off to make the table pretty.

While listening to Spanish music, I arranged my red flowers, lit the candles, sipped my beer, kissed my girl, placed the dishes, kissed my girl, folded the napkins, and stood back and smiled as I witnessed another great evening being born.

I roasted the shrimp in my homemade chipotle sauce, threw together the salad, and plated the sauces. As everything was coming together, I smirked because I was so happy. I can't believe how lucky I am...I have found an amazing girl and she loves my cooking and my giddy pleasure in the small things...like a homemade chipotle sauce that will knock your sombrero off. ha ha

By the way, the baked rice was unbelievable. It was gooey, cheesy goodness! You have to make it! Seriously! Hurry up! Make it tonight!!

Oh, and Maria loved everything. She even took pictures! I think my favorite shot of the night was definitely the one where I was washing the shrimp! ha ha! Too funny! But, honestly, I loved everything too...especially the sweet smiles and sounds that come from eating yummy food with someone special. Mmmmmmm!!

One final recommendation, take a walk in the moonlight after a meal like this...and ask yourself, "How do you like to hold hands?"

As it stands~
guests- one, but a very special one
emotions- only joy and laughter
meltdowns- none
recipes- 1
recipes to date- 17

The recipe~

Baked Rice

3/4 cup cooked rice (I made 1 cup uncooked; yields 4 servings)
1/2 lb Monterrey Jack cheese
1 lb green chili peppers
1/2 cup grated Jack cheese
butter (I didn't add this.)
2 cups sour cream (I added enough to cover the rice.)

Blend the sour cream with the rice. Salt to taste. Put half in the bottom of a casserole. Cut 1/2 lb cheese to to the size of a domino. Wrap each piece in 1 strip of green chili. Place on rice. Cover with remaining rice mixture. Sprinkle the grated cheese on top. Dot with butter. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

A couple notes- you can follow this recipe but the way I cooked it was delicious and easier. Also, you could make a huge batch of this and it would be perfect for a large party.

No comments:

Post a Comment